Thursday, June 25, 2009

My Newest Mola


A friend just sent me this mola and it appears to be perhaps something from the 2nd quarter of the 20th century. It is an octopus, but note how instead of eight arms, it seems to have only seven arms, and two of them are somewhat different from the others. The arms are different sizes as well, and different shapes. There is an overall lack of symmetry in the piece, but that makes it more interesting to me. It's not uncommon in molas. The fabrics are somewhat heavier than some of my other molas, and there is a lot more intricate stitching on it, another sign of something older. Some of the fabrics used for the reverse appliqué underneath are prints or unusually pieces, something I have not seen on many molas. I love the almost evil face of this octopus with its eyes that are both different sizes and shapes. Wonderful addition to my collection. You can click on the photo to see a much larger view.

No comments: